Peach Blueberry Crisp
June is a great month to enjoy fresh fruit. All kinds of berries, cherries and peaches are ripe, bursting with flavor and ready for picking. The following recipe uses two of our favorite fruits – blueberries and peaches.
This dessert (or breakfast) not only tastes great, it’s great for you. Peaches & blueberries are high in vitamin A, C, beta-carotene and potassium, and they both contain high levels of age-defying, cancer-fighting antioxidants (blueberries have such high levels of antioxidants they are often called a super food).
Why not make up a batch for dessert tonight. We’re sure it will become a family favorite.
1 pint fresh blueberries, washed & drained
4 medium peaches (about 1 – 1½ pounds), peeled (optional) & sliced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
2-3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine blueberries and peaches with sugar and lemon juice; stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Pour over fruit mixture; stir to coat.
- Spread fruit mixture evenly in prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine all topping ingredients except melted butter. Stir topping ingredients to mix. Drizzle with melted butter, stir again.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes. Serve warm topped with a tablespoon of Greek vanilla yogurt.
Makes 12 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 161 calories, 3 gm protein, 28 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm fat (2 gm saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 3 gm fiber, 49 mg sodium
This recipe is from the More Nutritious Still Delicious Cookbook, created, produced & distributed by the Nutrition Council of Greater Cincinnati