Eat to burn! Foods (and beverages) that boost metabolism
Boosting your metabolism with food
We are often asked, is there anything I can eat to change my metabolism? In addition to regular, aerobic and strength training exercise, there are a few foods that may give your metabolism a little kick. Below are some of the more popular foods (and beverages) being studied.
- Eat breakfast – yeah, yeah- you’ve heard it before. But, it’s true. Fueling your body within an hour of waking will give your body calories to burn up, so it is important to eat breakfast. Make it fast- grab a few light cheese sticks and an apple or a banana and handful of nuts if you don’t have time to cook.
- Drink green tea. Scientists believe the catechin ECG (epigallocatechin gallate) may increase fat oxidation, which is why you may see so many over the counter products containing green tea extract. Aim for at least 4 cups of brewed green tea daily, just skip the honey.
- Eat hot food! Cayenne pepper contains capsaisin, a substance found to increase heat production in the body. It may also aid with weight reduction by decreasing calorie absorption in the gut and speeding up fat metabolism.
- While you may laugh at 10 calories/day, it adds up to one pound of weight loss/year (better than gaining 1 pound annually)!
- Eat yogurt (with live cultures). Scientists have discovered that bacteria in yogurt alter the bacteria in your gut, which may affect the absorption of bile and other nutrients. Go for low sugar types or low fat, “un-fruited” Greek yogurt, which is higher in protein than traditional yogurt.
And again, get moving daily to keep your metabolism revved up for life.